Gem City Cakes

Friday, July 9, 2010

Excitement!

I feel like this is the highlight of my cake making so far. This week... I made my very first wedding cake!
Holy cow it was a lot of work, but so worth every second!

My friend Jess asked me to do the cake when she got engaged and with every passing month, I grew anxious about it. I was so worried I'd ruin the cake/wedding/bride's life if I messed this up! lol

Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. Honestly, I don't think it could have gone any more smoothly. Honestly.

I knew the cake was going to be big... but I suppose even after buying the huge pan set, I still wasn't prepared for just how huge...

It finally hit me when it took 4 lbs of buttercream just to fill and crumb coat the bottom tier. It was 16"x16" and about 4 1/2" tall. Uhm. Wow.
mms_picture.jpg
I had a mini panic attack, but stayed strong lol. If it helps, that mixing bowl is huge. So for it to look so tiny in this photo is mind blowing to me.

By the time I got all three tiers covered, I was feeling some real shock... "Wait... I'm almost done? Nothing horrible has gone wrong???"

I put EIGHT dowels in the bottom tier (paranoia much? lol), four dowels in the middle tier and though I considered a dowel down the middle, I figured the weight would hold it all in place.

I transported the tiers all separate and stacked them at the wedding. I filled my car with pillows and prayed for the best on the drive. It was SO HOT out. Some how I got the cake there with not a scratch!

Once it was all assembled, I got to stand back and see my work done. I almost cried.
I mean... it's really pretty, isn't it?

IMG_8561

What a great moment for me. And to be able to share that with friends... fantastic.
I also made an anniversary tier. With a handmade box.
IMG_8553

The wedding was a blast and everyone loved the cake! I did green buttercream between the top tier and orange between the middle! The bottom tier was chocolate.
mms_picture_1.jpg

So much fun! The wedding was just great and Jess was a perfect and gorgeous bride. She was about as far from a bridezilla as anyone could possibly be.
Congratulations Jess! I'm so happy for you and so thankful that you trusted me to make such an important cake for you!
2

No comments:

Post a Comment