Gem City Cakes

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Manly Cakes

Decorative cakes, by nature, normal aren't so... eh... manly. I suppose you could say. Most decorative cakes boast swirls and flowers and shimmery things. Most are whimsical and cute. So when it comes time to make a cake for a guy, I always try to keep it as masculine as possible. I hold back the need to embellish things and frill things up.

The last three cakes I've done have been for guys. Two of them were delightfully nerd-themed.
A girl I met at Jess's wedding contacted me about making a cake!

Nintendo! Who doesn't get all nostalgic over that. I remember when I was a kid, my brother and I used to fiiiiight over some Nintendo. He probably has the scars to prove it. One day, during a particularly bad outburst, my brother and I were reduced to swapping punches over a game of Mario. (You know the ORIGINAL Mario...) anyway, my dad calmly walks into the room, yanks the cords out of the Nintendo, opened the living room window, tossed the console outside and left the room.
We were in shock. And quite devastated. I remember we had to duct tape it together to make it work. We couldn't live without it though!
IMG_9195

I can only hope this cake brought David equally thrilling childhood memories! Hahaha.


The next cake was for another guy who still enjoys childhood things such as Transformers! My friend Samantha sent me a message on Facebook asking me to make this for her boyfriend.
This Decepticon cake was made of fondant and the logo was cut from layered white and purple fondant for a more 3D look.
IMG_9192
My camera wasn't picking up the true colors of the cake for some reason, but the photo below shows it!

I was asked to make the cake "decepticon purple" lol
62995_433775842162_538727162_5708390_891477_n

I hear it was totally loved!


The next cake, I'm sort of cheating by posting. I normally don't post cakes until I've given them to the person who is having me make them, but I'm cheating, because I already sent her this photo. :)
My friend Nickie, who is totally awesome, had me make this for her boyfriend's birthday!
IMG_9230
I've never made a gum paste model before. So this was different for me! It was a challenge and lots of fun. I looked online for ideas and saw lots of airplane cakes. But most of the planes that were MADE of cake were weird and squatty looking. Jet planes are sleek and slim and there's not much "meat" on them. So I didn't want to make the plane out of cake. I decided to do a gum paste model rather than blow out the proportions of the cake. I was very pleased with the result!

So, the next time you're in need of a "dude cake," remember, there's more to cake than flowers and frills! Even sweet confections can be manly!

*Edit*Silly me! I see that I already posted this transformer cake!! But guess what, it fits the post! So it stays! lol**

No comments:

Post a Comment